“Select committees are a supple and adaptable tool …”. So reported the UK Parliament’s own Liaison Committee in 2019. But what are Select Committees? And what do they do and how do they do it?
This one-day programme introduces Parliamentary committees by exploring where they came from, why we have them and their role in modern Parliamentary systems. Our programme also explores how Select Committees work and the various roles of those that contribute to that work. And the crucial role Parliamentary Committees play in delivering good governance.
This highly participative programme uses a blend of information sharing, conversation, examination of case studies and video to explore the topic, led by our highly experienced facilitator.
The programme is aimed at those looking to build a foundation level understanding of Parliamentary Committees and is suitable for parliamentarians, parliamentary staff, civil servants … and anyone else that has an interest in how modern legislatures work.
Participants in this interactive programme will:
- Understand the form and function of committees in a modern Parliament.
- Be able to describe the different types of committee and the variety of role they deliver.
- Examine the real-world impact of Parliamentary committees.
- - Why do we have Parliamentary committees?
- - What do Parliamentary Committees look like and how are they formed?
- - What are the various functions of these committtees?
- - Their role in providing oversight and good governance
- - How are Parliamentary committees resourced and is that resourcing fit for purpose?
- - Who is involved in delivering efficient and effective committee services and what do they do?
- - Support for committee Members
- - What powers and privileges do they have and use?
- - Are all committees equal?
- - What outcomes do properly functioning Parliamentary committees deliver?
- - The relationship between committees and the plenary
- - Transparency and outreach: the challenge for Parliamentary committees
- - What is the place for Parliamentary committees in a modern legislature?
- - What characteristics make for efficient and effective committees?
- - How have they, and how should they, adapt?
- - Modernising Parliamentary committees … and what comes next.